FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I love Suffolk Puffs!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liantasse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liantasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I love Suffolk Puffs!
    Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 10:43am
Looking around on the internet I noticed Suffolk Puffs are quite fashionable at the moment - or maybe they have been for a while and I wasn't aware of it? Tongue
Anyway, upon seeing them I promptly fell in love and decided to make some too.
Here are some things I made with Suffolk Puffs:

• a necklace, inspired from the November issue of the Japanese magazine Cotton Time:

• a brooch (where you cannot actually see the puff, since it's covered by lace & decorations Embarrassed ):

• a wreath, with flowers made of pink crêpe paper, and leaves made of old book & music pages, and gold color paper:

The puffs are so easy to make and so adorably pretty, that I am now thoroughly addicted! Smile
Does anyone else make stuff with them? Please do show! <3

Edited by Liantasse - 17 Dec 2010 at 10:44am
milly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 8:36pm
These look amazing! You could use one on a headband like in Issue 3!
How do you make them?

Edited by milly - 05 Jan 2011 at 8:37pm
Liantasse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liantasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 11:25pm
Thank you very much, Milly! :)
I haven't tried them on a headband, maybe I should!

They are really easy to make - I learned from a book I borrowed from the library, but I just found this tutorial online which is nice and easy to follow: click!

Sometimes they are called 'yo-yo's'. Must confess I cringe whenever I hear that. That's the American term for them, but I much prefer the name Suffolk Puffs! :) It's so sweet and elegant, and imho fits them much much better.

Edited by Liantasse - 06 Jan 2011 at 5:20pm
npengelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npengelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 10:08am
Ohhh I love the puff wreath! Tres vintage and pretty! Might give them a go since I spent three hours tidying up the craft room last night and found lots of scraps that need a home!
nicola pengelly
pickles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 5:58pm
wow they are fab
Liantasse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liantasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 9:55pm
Dear Making,

Thank you so very much for featuring my Suffolk Puffs necklace in Issue 5! Smile Heart
I was really overjoyed to see it the other day when I got the magazine!

Many thanks once again!
milly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 10:01am
I think it was a great idea featuring them in Making, ever since I saw them on this thread I have been making loads of them and perfecting the technique- it was so inspiring! 
I saw on the internet that they make them into quilts so i'm going to try that next!

tulip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 8:04pm
That wreath is really gorgeous! I love the music paper. And I agree - Suffolk Puff is a far superior name to the silly yo-yo.
ably View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ably Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 12:59pm
I love suffolk puffs too. We are in the throws of writing a new suffolk puff inspired tutorial at the moment. If you take a look at my blog it should be there soon.

I just think they are so quick and versatile, whilst looking fantastic. I love the pic of the necklace

Abi
Angel Eden blog http://www.angeleden.blogspot.com :)
SilviaSherr View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilviaSherr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 2:58pm
MMMMM I love the wreath. And only today I saw someone on Facebook having done some. What I am wondering is why they are called Suffolk Puffs?! I know them as Fabric YoYo's. It just goes to show that even in craft circles everything gets re invented :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic