Take ten... Georgina Ritson
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Doll artist Georgina Ritson stops for a chat with Karen Bamford
1. In the miniatures world I'm best know for… 1:12 scale porcelain dolls.
2. Period perfectionist or anything goes? Somewhere in the middle! My dolls' house is predominantly Georgian but I use a bit of artistic license here and there with the odd bit of Victoriana creeping in. When it comes to dolls though, I'm a period perfectionist.
3. My favourite scale is… 1:12 scale but I am very tempted by a 1:24 scale collection. At the last Miniatura, my stand was next door to Petite Properties and I found my mind wandering off to plan a little 1:24 scale village!
4. When I'm not making miniatures, I'm… currently being chewed by a kitten! Actually, he chews me when I'm working so that doesn't really count. I've moved house recently and now have space for my 16-room Georgian dolls' house. I'm refurbishing it as my winter project!
5. My best moment was… in miniatures? Probably the Kensington Dollshouse Festival a couple of years ago. I'd had a couple of years off and on my first show back found myself overwhelmed with orders and a 12-month waiting list. It was my best moment and very humbling because I was not expecting it at all.
6. My most embarrassing memory is… I have many of those and not all can be shared! I didn't do too well with my bike in Cambridge. It's nearly ten years ago now but I can still remember falling of my bike in a heap at the senior tutor's feet when I arrived at an archaeology field trip. Needless to say I walked everywhere the next three years and the bike met its end in a fen!
7. My dream dolls' house would look like… The Lincoln dolls' house by Tim Hartnall of Anglia Dolls Houses. I just love that house.
8. I'd love to have dinner with… Boyzone… never grew out of them!
9. The best advice I've ever had was… always do your best.
10. My favourite film is… The Help. I could watch that over and over again.
Find out more at www.georginaritsondolls.com